Suggested Grade Level
Suggested Subject Matter
|2||Sacrifice||English/Language Arts/Social Studies|
• Define the word sacrifice.
• Provide examples of sacrifice in their communities and lives.
• Describe sacrifices they have made in their own lives.
• Describe reasons sacrifice is valued in society.
Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
Core Value Focus: Sacrifice
Suggested definition - The act of giving up something that you want to keep, especially in order to get
or do something else or to help someone.
Recipient Focus: All recipients
The students will watch a Disney Clips video, which features sacrifices in Disney movies. The class will
do a pair-share to discuss the sacrifices that were observed in the video. A whole group discussion will
follow the pair-share.
Small Group Activity:
The teacher will read the book The Giving Tree to the students. The group will then work together
to answer the following questions:
1. How did the tree show sacrifice?
2. What happened at the end of the story to the tree?
3. What is the ultimate sacrifice?
4. Is sacrifice a way to show love?
5. Why do people sacrifice?
6. Have you seen someone sacrifice for someone else?
7. What is a sacrifice that you could do?
8. Does sacrificing make you a hero?
Brainstorm examples of sacrifice they see in other movies, books or in their everyday lives. Students should
be prepared to share their examples in the next class period.
Assessment: teacher observation
Show YouTube clips identified under Resources below.
Brainstorm ways that students can show sacrifice in their own lives (fundraiser, volunteering, etc.)
Possible modification for advanced/older students - (5th grade standards in most states): Show different
Google Slides of the amputees and lead them into discussion about what the amputees have in common.
Lead them to understand that all of them gave up a part of themselves for the greater good of their country
or their military brethren as a sacrifice.
The Giving Tree Poem
Teaching Introduction to Sacrifice using Disney clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DS0r9_stF8
Sacrifice Disney clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2tYj452QI
Big Hero 6 My Sacrifice clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y20NTiopk4
Google slides of amputees: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FMHegzVxa-cHpod3JMeW5pZ0k/view?usp=sharing
Quotes on the focus core value:
Think about the past and consider the sacrifices men and women in the military have made for us.
- Gary G. Wetzel, Army-Vietnam War
“Millions have served in the military and made sacrifices, and most have gone unrecognized.”
- George E. Wahlen, Navy-World War II