- Learn about the Medal of Honor Character Development Program and the core values of courage, commitment, sacrifice, citizenship, integrity and patriotism
- Collaborate to build a core value word
|SUGGESTED GRADE LEVEL||SUGGESTED VALUES||SUGGESTED SUBJECT MATTER|
|Kindergarten – Second Grade||Patriotism, Citizenship, Commitment, Courage, Integrity, Sacrifice|
- Six pieces of 18” x 4” construction paper
- Six envelopes
- Core value word letters template (cut up and put in envelopes) DO NOT LABEL
- Character Club Introduction video
Explain that there is a special medal awarded to members of the military who have done deeds that put others before themselves. It is the highest military award a person can received, and it is awarded by the President. The people who receive this award are called Medal of Honor Recipients or Recipients, and they have shown some important values.
Whole Group Activity:
Watch the Character Club Introduction video.
Small Group Activity:
Divide the class into six groups. Give each group an envelope and a piece of construction paper. Explain that the envelope contains letters that will spell out one of the core value words. Have students work together to figure out which word they have and then glue the letters in order onto the construction paper. Post the words in the classroom.
Discuss how each group worked as a team. What helped them? Were there any problems?