- Understand what the word patriotism means and how it relates to them as a student and a member of our society
- Research important symbols of our country
|SUGGESTED GRADE LEVEL||SUGGESTED VALUES|
- Flip chart paper
- Character Club Patriotism video
- Internet access
Watch the Character Club Patriotism video and review the meaning of patriotism. Then, discuss the meaning of symbolism. Ask students what symbols remind them of our country. What symbols make them feel patriotic?
Create a Circle Map using the suggested symbols from your students.
Small Group Activity:
Divide students into groups of two or three, and assign one of the symbols from the Circle Map to each group. Alternately, assign them a symbol from the following list: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Flag, Bald Eagle, Liberty Bell, Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Capitol Building, Star Spangled Banner, Pledge of Allegiance.
Have each group work collaboratively to
- Research their assigned symbol
- Create a visual representation of their symbol on flip chart paper
- List five facts about the symbol
Note: Research can be done online or by using the optional books found on the Resource Book List.
Give each group two minutes to share their poster with the class. Allow time for other students to ask questions.
United States Symbol poster, presentation