- Develop an understanding of the Citizen Honors Award
- Understand what a Gold Star Family is
- Identify ways they can share kindness and show good citizenship
|SUGGESTED GRADE LEVEL||SUGGESTED VALUES|
Note to Teacher:
- Gold Star Families are immediate relatives of members of the U.S. armed forces who have been killed in combat or in support of certain military actions.
- Information about Citizen Honors and those who have received the award is available here.
Tell students that every day in this country, ordinary Americans become extraordinary. It can happen in a single instance of bravery or through continued service to others. These acts of courage and self-sacrifice symbolize the American spirit and are recognized every year by our nation’s greatest heroes, the Medal of Honor Recipients. Remind students that actions don’t need to be big to make an impact.
Whole Group Activity:
Show the Myles Eckert video. Discuss his act of kindness toward a service member and his family.
Once the groups have had the chance to generate some ideas, have the students use the Share Kindness worksheet to draw a picture and write about a way that they can share kindness and show good citizenship in their lives.
Have students share their pages with the class. Additionally, you can put the pages together to make a class book.